Here are the tools I personally use – or have used in the past – to keep my financial life in order.
Disclosure: Some of the links on this page are referral links. At no additional cost to you, if you choose to make a purchase or sign up for a service after clicking through those links, I may receive a small commission. This allows me to continue producing high-quality, ad-free content on this site and pays for the occasional cup of coffee. I have first-hand experience with every product or service I recommend, and I recommend them because I genuinely believe they are useful, not because of the commission I get if you decide to purchase through my links. Read more here.
- M1 Finance – long-term, buy-and-hold investing platform.
- Lively – HSA (Health Savings Account).
- Personal Capital – Organize and visualize your finances across multiple accounts into one platform. Free to use.
- Portfolio Visualizer – self-explanatory name. Backtests, optimization algos, all sorts of neat stuff, and most of it for free.
- BlockFi – buy and sell crypto.
- The Bogleheads’ Guide to Investing by Taylor Larimore and Mel Lindauer
- The Bogleheads’ Guide to the Three-Fund Portfolio by Taylor Larimore and John Bogle
- The Little Book of Common Sense Investing by John Bogle
- Unconventional Success: A Fundamental Approach to Personal Investment by David Swensen
- The Simple Path to Wealth by JL Collins
- Your Complete Guide to a Successful and Secure Retirement by Larry Swedroe
- The Incredible Shrinking Alpha by Larry Swedroe
- Your Complete Guide to Factor-Based Investing: The Way Smart Money Invests Today by Larry Swedroe
- Reducing the Risk of Black Swans by Larry Swedroe
- The Only Guide to Alternative Investments You’ll Ever Need by Larry Swedroe
- The Only Guide to a Winning Investment Strategy You’ll Ever Need by Larry Swedroe
- The Coffeehouse Investor by Bill Schultheis
- We’re Talking Millions!: 12 Simple Ways to Supercharge Your Retirement by Paul Merriman
- Financial Fitness Forever: 5 Steps to More Money, Less Risk, and More Peace of Mind by Paul Merriman
- First-Time Investor: Grow and Protect Your Money by Paul Merriman
- The Intelligent Asset Allocator by Bill Bernstein
- If You Can: How Millennials Can Get Rich Slowly by Bill Bernstein
- The Four Pillars of Investing: Lessons for Building a Winning Portfolio by Bill Bernstein
- The Investor’s Manifesto: Preparing for Prosperity, Armageddon, and Everything in Between by Bill Bernstein
- Rational Expectations: Asset Allocation for Investing Adults by Bill Bernstein (more advanced; for more experienced investors who want the dense math)
- All About Asset Allocation by Rick Ferri
- Asset Allocation: Balancing Financial Risk by Roger Gibson
- Global Asset Allocation: A Survey of the World’s Top Asset Allocation Strategies by Meb Faber
- The Best Investment Writing Volume 2: Selected writing from leading investors and authors by Meb Faber
- The Fundamental Index: A Better Way To Invest by Rob Arnott
- Conserving Client Portfolios During Retirement by William Bengen